Apple Spice Muffins – Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved!
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon – holidays option: 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger and 1/8 – 1/4 tsp clove, powders) 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk – unflavored
- 1 cup apple peeled; diced – 1/8 inch
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 2 tsp stevia powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Mix the soy milk, diced apple, apple sauce, vinegar, maple syrup or agave, stevia and vanilla extract in a second bowl.
Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
Using a non-stick 12 or 24 (mini) cupcake pan, portion the batter using either a 1/4 or a 1/8 measuring cup.
Bake the 12 cupcakes for 20-24 minutes, or the 24 cupcakes for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the largest cupcake.