Butternut Squash Kale Hash
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 medium (~2 cups) yellow onion, large dice
- 4 cups kale, striped from stalk and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage (or 1 tbsp rubbed sage)
- 1/4 cup water for sauté
- Salt or salt substitute and pepper, to taste
- dash liquid smoke
- 1 tsp olive oil (for texture)
Heat seasoned cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and water sauté until beginning to brown. Add butternut squash on top, 1 tablespoon water, cover, and let steam 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in sage, onions, and squash until mixed.
Place kale on top and add about 2 tablespoons water. Cover and allow kale to steam for about 4 minutes. Stir kale, squash, and onion.
Add olive oil (optional) and stir to coat. Add salt or salt substitute and pepper to taste (optional). A dash of liquid smoke gives it that campfire breakfast smell and taste.