Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved
• 1 cup – uncooked brown rice (4 cups cooked)
• 2 cups – sweet Maui or Vidalia onion roughly chopped
• 1 1/2 cups – red bell pepper seeded and chopped
• 1 1/2 Tbsp – chili powder divided
• 1 (16-oz) can – low-sodium fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juice
• 2 1/2 cups – veggie crumbles
• 1 3/4 cups – cooked kidney beans or 1(16-oz)can no-salt kidney beans
• 1 (15-oz) can – low-sodium tomato sauce
• 2 cups – pineapple finely chopped
• 3/4 tsp – dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp – fine sea salt
• 1/3 cup – cilantro and/or green onions freshly chopped optional
• Hot sauce or red pepper flakes for garnish; optional
Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside 4 cups cooked rice for serving chili.
In a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan, combine onion, bell pepper, 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, and 1/2 cup water. Place over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated, 8–10 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juice, veggie crumbles, kidney beans with their liquid (or an additional 1/2 cup water if using home-cooked beans), tomato sauce, chopped pineapple, remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until flavors marry, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in one-fourth of the cilantro and/or green onions just before serving, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish.
Serve chili warm over cooked rice with a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of red pepper flakes (if using) and optional 2 teaspoons cilantro and/or green onions per serving.
For more Ornish Lifestyle MedicineTM recipes, visit www.Ornish.com.