Pasta Carbonara – Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved!
Serves 4 to 6 – Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes, Ready time: 15 minutes
- 4-6 oz – whole grain pasta: penne or fettuccine
- 3 cups – oat milk (original flavor) suggested brand: Pacific Foods
- 1 cup – garlic roasted
- 2 Tbsp – nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp – white miso
- 2 Tbsp – fresh oregano chopped, OR
- 1 tsp – dried oregano, hand rubbed
- 1/2 tsp – black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tsp – sweet or smoked paprika
- 1-2 Tbsp – chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup – baby green peas fresh or frozen
- 1/2-3/4 cup – dried tomatoes sliced (soften in hot water if needed)
- 1 Tbsp – chives chopped; garnish
- optional – baked tofu or cannellini beans to add protein
- optional – pinch of salt to taste
Combine the oat milk and peppers in a blender. Add garlic, yeast, miso, oregano, black pepper and paprika and blend until creamy.
Bring to a low simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add peas, tomatoes and optional protein and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, thinning with extra oat milk or water as needed.
Serve over or mix with cooked pasta and garnish with chives.