Pulled “PORK-LESS” BBQ Sandwich
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved
- 1 (20-OZ) can – green jackfruit in water
- 1 cup – red onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp – garlic finely minced or pressed
- 1 tsp – chili powder
- 1 tsp – smoked paprika
- 2 tsp – apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups – cooked blacked beans, drained
- 3/4 cup – prepared barbecue sauce*
- 1/4 cup – cilantro freshly chopped; optional
- Hot sauce to taste; optional
- 6 whole-grain sandwich thins
- 6–12 thin slices of tomato
- 6 very thin slides of red onion
- 6 lettuce leaves
*Choose a barbecue sauce with less than 5g sugar and 3g fat/serving
Serves: 6 – Serving size: 1 sandwich with 1/2 cup filling
Drain and rinse jackfruit, then drain again. Pat dry using paper towels. Using your fingers, pull jackfruit apart so that it looks shredded.
In a large skillet, combine onion, garlic, chili powder, paprika, vinegar, and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Let cook until onions are soft and translucent and water has evaporated, 5–7 minutes. Stir in jackfruit, beans, barbecue sauce, and 1/3 cup water. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until flavors marry and jackfruit is soft, for 25 minutes. Add an additional 1–2 tablespoons water if pan gets too dry. Remove from heat. Season with cilantro and/or hot sauce (if using).
To serve, place lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and thinly sliced red onion on the bottom half of each sandwich thin “bun.” Add 1/2 cup jackfruit barbecue for each sandwich, and top with remaining bun. Serve.
For more Ornish Lifestyle MedicineTM recipes, visit www.Ornish.com.