Spicy Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
Serves 8 – This simple, spicy soup is great for parties. Create a build-your-own soup bar with avocado, cashew sour cream, chopped lettuce, red onion and loads of fresh herbs, and let your guests create their own delicious bowls.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican Spice Blend
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, divided
- 2 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes (or 4 pounds fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed, for garnish
- 1 avocado, diced, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place tortillas in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook tortillas about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven when chip-like. Break into bite-size pieces.
Heat a large soup pot over high heat. Add onion, jalapeño, Mexican Spice Blend and lime zest. Cook until fragrant and onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add water, as needed, to avoid burning. Add diced tomatoes and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Continue to simmer about 15 to 20 minutes. Purée soup with an upright or immersion blender. Add lime juice and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips, black beans and avocado.
Per Serving: Serving size: about 1 cup, 180 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 6g protein
Sourced by Whole Foods Market