- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans, drained
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium garbanzo beans
- 1 28-oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or no-chicken broth
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley or cilantro as garnish, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
In a large, heated saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery in water, until onions are translucent. Add enough water or broth to keep from completely drying out, but don’t let them swim in liquid. Add garlic and sauté for 60-90 seconds, being careful to brown but not burn.
Add beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, broth, and tomato paste and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 40-60 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Adjust seasonings as desired, using salt or salt substitute and pepper (optional).
Serve hot in a bowl, garnished with fresh parsley or cilantro.