Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved!
- 2 Tbsp – low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp – natural liquid smoke
- 2 tsp – maple syrup
- 1 1/2 LB firm tofu well-drained, patted dry, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups – beets peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups – cucumber peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 cup – green onion thinly sliced on the bias, divided
- 1 tsp lime zest plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp – minced ginger or 1 teaspoon grated
- 2 tsp – low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp – Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 (7 1/2 X 8–INCH) sheets toasted nori seaweed
Serves: 6 – Serving size: 1 cup
Drain and rinse jackfruit, then drain again. Pat dry using paper towels. Using your fingers, pull jackfruit apart so that it looks shredded.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
To prepare tofu; in a medium bowl, stir together the tamari, liquid smoke, and maple syrup. Add tofu and toss gently to coat. Spread tofu on prepared sheet pan, place in the oven, and bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
While tofu is baking, place a vegetable steamer basket in a saucepan, adding water to come to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add beets, cover, and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove steamer from the saucepan and let beets cool.
In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, 1/2 cup green onions, lime zest and juice, ginger, tamari, and Sriracha. Add tofu and beets.
Fold toasted nori sheets in half, then quarters. Fold quarters in half again. Using scissors, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips. Fold into tofu-beet mixture. Taste and season with more tamari, lime, and/or ginger, as desired. Garnish with remaining green onions, and serve immediately.
For more Ornish Lifestyle MedicineTM recipes, visit www.Ornish.com.