Vegan Caesar Salad
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ Approved!
Serves 10 to 12 – Prep and ready time: 20 minutes
- 2-4 cups/person – romaine Lettuce broken or chopped
- 1/4 cup/person – carrots
- 1/4 cup/person – watermelon radish slivered
- As desired – whole grain croûtons (fat-free) packaged or homemade (see recipe for croûtons at right)
- 12 oz – silken tofu, firm
- ¼ cup – water
- ¼ cup – fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp – red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp – Worcestershire sauce (vegan) optional
- 1 Tbsp – horseradish
- 2 Tbsp – capers
- 1-2 tsp – garlic minced or pressed
- ¼ cup – nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp – Coleman’s mustard powder
- ¾ tsp – black pepper freshly ground
- ½-1 tsp – salt to taste
Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth.
Thin with water, to your preferred consistency.
Toss the salad ingredients together. Then add the dressing gradually, tossing and tasting according to your preference.
Add croûtons just before serving.
To make your own whole grain fat-free croûtons: Cut a narrow whole grain baguette in half lengthwise and then across every ¼ inch. Bake on a cookie sheet, on a low temperature (275 degrees) until the croûtons are crispy and golden.